Monday 14 January 2013

RAK 12 .... Reach out to a distant friend in need.

January 12

Day 12 was a struggle to find an RAK. After a very unexpected and stressful week which included a surprise lay-off, my mind was everywhere. However the commitment and the accountability of this challenge reeled me back to reality and put my mind on others.

For Day 12 I reached out to an old friend in a distant city who is going through a tough time with life/marriage/kids etc. I don't want to betray any confidences so I will leave the details at that. It was a simple RAK but I think sometimes those make the biggest difference. A simple and unexpected email to say "hey man I am thinking about you, I am here for you, and you are not alone". I can't say for sure if it made a difference, but I know it would if it were me.

Personally taking that time away from all the other stresses in my life was great. I came away from that message feeling better about life, and myself and ready to face the world again.

Jeremy

 
I too will note that I spent much time this weekend communicating with a friend who is also going through a tough time.  I too will, for confidentiality reasons, leave out the details, but I think it is important to note that sometimes just being there for someone, in a non judgmental way, not offering advice or opinions is all people want from us. Sometimes, people just want to talk, and sometimes, it is our job just to listen.

As Jeremy mentioned, our family took a bit of a blow this week, but our resolve is strengthened to continue with this commitment, knowing that sometimes the best way to make us feel better about what is going on around us, is to simply do something nice for someone else.

Keep smiling,
Coreena



No comments:

Post a Comment